Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Lift)
If you believe your eyes are making you look more tired, sadder, or older than you feel, blepharoplasty may be the right choice for you.
This cosmetic treatment, also known as eyelid lift surgery, can smooth and tighten the skin on the upper and lower eyelids.
We invite you to visit our practice in Indianapolis, to learn more about how blepharoplasty can rejuvenate your appearance...
How Can Eyelid Surgery
Improve My Appearance?
Tightens Drooping Skin
Sagging skin on the upper lids can produce a hooded appearance and even obscure your vision. This problem can also affect the lower lids, resulting in under eye bags and a wrinkled appearance. We can perform surgery on the upper or lower eyelids to remove this excess skin and leave you looking younger.
Removes Excess Fat
Excess fat can collect in the lower lids, contributing to a puffy appearance. Excess fat can also cause the upper eyelids to droop excessively. During the blepharoplasty procedure, we can redistribute or remove excess fat to create a smoother contour.
Minimizes Under Eye Circles
The effects of sagging skin and excess fat can create noticeable under eye circles in men and women. By removing and repositioning pockets of fat, we can soften the appearance of these under eye bags, resulting in a more rested and youthful appearance for our patients.
Contact Our Plastic Surgery Practice
to Discuss Your Surgical Options
Dr. Debra Bergman and Dr. Elizabeth Grasee are board certified plastic surgeons who have completed fellowships in plastic and reconstruction surgery. They have the training and skill to perform your blepharoplasty safely and with beautiful results. In addition, all eyelid surgery procedures are performed in an accredited outpatient surgery center or hospital to ensure your safety.
To schedule a consultation at our Carmel, IN, plastic surgery practice, contact us online or call us at (317) 581-0001. We serve clients in Indianapolis and other areas of central Indiana.
Dr. Grasee did my upper lids and they look amazing. People tell me I look younger but can’t pin point why. It looks so natural. Dr. Grasee explained the procedure to me and answered all questions. Her and her staff were very professional and ensured I was comfortable. Great experience. I’ll definitely be a repeat patient.
We perform eyelid lift surgery in the Indianapolis and Carmel areas to remove excess skin and fat, and restore a more alert and rested appearance to the eyelids.
Am I a Candidate
for Upper or Lower Eyelid Surgery?
Lower Eyelid Surgery
Lower eyelid surgery may be right for you if you have:
- Loose, thin skin under your eyes
- Puffy bags under your eyes
- Circles under the eyes
Upper Eyelid Surgery
Upper eyelid surgery may be right for you if you have:
- Hooded upper eyelids
- Drooping upper eyelids
- Upper eyelid skin that obscures your vision
Recovery after Blepharoplasty:
What to Expect
The recovery timeline and severity of side effects can vary for patients. In general, our Indianapolis and Carmel patients can expect side effects to subside to a point that they feel comfortable returning to work within 10 to 14 days. However, patients should avoid strenuous activity and sun exposure for at least six weeks after surgery.
Common Side Effects after Surgery
The side effects are typically at their worst the first week after surgery. These can include:
- Discomfort can be eased with over-the-counter pain medications.
- Swelling of the eyelids and surrounding areas is a normal reaction after surgery. Keeping your head elevated when resting can reduce this inflammation.
- Bruising around the eyes typically reaches its peak in one week and then begins to fade.
- Itching or tingling can occur, but it is important to avoid touching the eye area because it can increase the risk of infection.
- Temporary, mild blurred vision can occur in the days after surgery, but should clear as swelling goes down
- Tearing and dryness can be relieved with lubricating eye drops.
- Light sensitivity can be avoided by dimming the lights and closing the curtains for a few days after surgery.
- Scarring is hidden in the natural creases of the eyelids. They will fade and blend in with surrounding skin. However, sun exposure can darken the scars and make them more noticeable.
Most of these side effects will fade within a week of your procedure.
Typically, patients can expect to see the full results of the blepharoplasty six weeks after surgery. At this point, the eyelids are firmer and the skin slopes smoothly over the lids. However, it is important to note that residual swelling can remain for up to one year. In addition, it can take one year for incisions to completely fade.
View Our Patient's
Upper Eyelid Surgery Results
Carmel Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeons has the complete package. The surgeons and staff are great. They are always very helpful, knowledgeable and able to answer any questions I have. My experience here has been wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone!